In order to run Docker, it seems I must discontinue my use of VirtualBox. Great (not great); e.g.,
I’d successfully hidden ’em distracting grid lines in Excel via (Ribbon) > View > Gridlines, but then I wanted to hide (similarly distracting) page breaks. As it turns out, this option is pretty well hidden:
File > Options > Advanced > Display options for this worksheet > Show page breaks
Also note that this option is set on a per-worksheet basis, so you’ll have to uncheck once for every worksheet you may have. Thankfully, there is a drop list 3 check boxes above, so just rinse and repeat.
Kudos to the ExtendOffice blog post for this enlightenment: https://www.extendoffice.com/documents/excel/602-excel-hide-page-breaks.html.
I use my 23″ monitor as the main display when paired with my 14″ Windows laptop (HP EliteBook 840 G3). 150% display scaling is fine with 23″ of glorious, screen real estate, but eye-achingly small on just 14″; i.e., when I go for meetings. As a result, I’d toggle between 100% and 150% display scaling, and there’s the added hassle of having to re-login for this change to take effect.
Today I learned that you can configure separate settings for each display when using”Extend these displays” rather than “Duplicate these displays”. My thanks to this other article, saved me a couple of minutes each and every time!
For all those of you who have been trying to clear Putty’s cache of host fingerprints (Windows) for development or testing, here is the answer:
1. Open the registry (regedit)
2. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SimonTatham\PuTTY\SshHostKeys
3. Delete the rows that you need and presto!
From the Start menu, right click “Computer”, then “Manage”.
“Computer Management” window comes up, navigate to System Tools -> Device Manager > Network adapters. Right click the correct one (e.g. Atheros AR5B97 Wireless Network Adapter), then Uninstall. Keep the driver software for the device, now you should have one less adapter.
Again from “Computer Management”, click Action > Scan for hardware changes.
The wireless adapter should be detected, and then previously missing wireless network should re-appear.
Extracted from http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1728029/laptop-find-wifi.html.
Using regedit to remove ‘Images’:
I needed to copy a 140MiB file from a Windows 2000 server. The only problem was that it didn’t support FTP (or SFTP) and I couldn’t download FileZilla Server since there was no network connection. I asked my colleague for a quick fix to this, and I can’t recall what he said, but suddenly I remember that I’d RHEL 3 (and Samba) and I could use Windows to map a Samba share. Problem solved.
Sometimes it is thinking about a problem from a different perspective client/server instead of server/client. Heh
Recently I created a 71-track playlist in Winamp for Windows, and I thought to (somehow) copy the playlist it to my Android handset instead of having to recreate it on the phone one track at a time (groan).
Winamp has a playlist export feature — Manage Playlist > Export playlist… — that writes a .m3u file to a path of your choice. But I found that Winamp makes the path (to the media files) relative if it is placed in the same directory.
I do just that — all my files are in the same directory
C:\Users\wayne.khan-zw\Music — so this works for me. When prompted to save, set the full path to something like
C:\Users\wayne.khan-zw\Music\Foo.m3u. The contents of the file should be something like the following:
#EXTINF:157,Zee Avi - Bitter Heart
As you can see, I’m a Zee Avi fan. But I digress.
Now,you can transfer this .m3u file onto your Android device — I saved mine as
Disclaimer: I paid GBP20 (~S$40) for this application, so this post is simply to share my (good) thoughts.
I used to strip all mp3 metadata aka ID3 for my mp3 collection. This worked out OK except during search. All of my fines have underscored names; e.g.
I use Play Music, and it doesn’t understand a search spaced search; i.e. “Humpty Dumpty”, which is, IMO an excellent search intent. Anyway, that’s a rant for another day.
I am using the latest 4.5.7, and everything just works as expected. There is MusicBrainz support if you’re lazy. I tried that out a bit, but the accuracy wasn’t that good, but that’s OK because everything can be edited by hand if like me, you’re a fanatic/zealot that prefers to search for artist/album/album art via Amazon.
I did encounter an error message like “msvcr100.dll missing”, but it worked fine after dismissing the dialog. I might have messed with my Win7 settings and installed a Java update, that’s why, but I downloaded this Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86) and then the error was gone. The fix is not mentioned on any Jaikoz-related forum, but there’s a Microsoft answer that was really helpful.
And oh, there’s an free trial that lets you fix metadata for up to 20 songs a time — Just restart to continue editing the metadata. I tried it out for a week before I go tired of restarting it — Java is slow — and took the plunge. It costs 20GBP for Standard, that it is working out really well as I start to (re)tag my music.